playstrategy.org

Backgammon

The dice distribution playing Greedy Two Move is absurd. It's not fair. Get to work, gentlemen. It is a force that makes the game thoroughly unenjoyable.

I think that's just you being unlucky - backgammon is the only luck-based game on PlayStrategy (and its variants)

Yeah, it's not fair. I seem to roll good dice against the bot, the poor thing.

On a more serious note, the dice randomness functionality should be public, but I don't know the source code well enough to know where to look.

Even with perfect rolls, it's easy to beat the bot, as it plays with a poor strategy, like in a game of Parchis. It's true that playing a single game without the Cube increases luck, especially at the end of the game.

However, Backgammon is not a luck game. The game is pure strategy combined with great math calculations and probabilities.

With all due respect, saying that Backgammon is a luck game is one of the biggest mistakes in the abstract world of games.

Edit: That's fair enough, I don't play backgammon. I will amend my statement to say
"backgammon is the only game with an element of luck on PlayStrategy (and its variants)"

Intersting article.

That is the reason why the important tournaments are played in longer matches.

The longer the match the less the luck.

In a long match the better player will always be the favorite.

Bottom line: are the dice rolls generated before the game and then "distributed"? Or, are the rolls generated *each*"roll?

Reconnecting